YouTube Marketing in 2020
Introduction: If you plan to start marketing on YouTube this year, you should be aware of this. More than 50 million content creators on YouTube regularly produce videos, so you need to get your own content with YouTube Marketing.
Another challenge? Reach out and attract your primary audience. Most YouTube viewers aren’t big fans of ads, so you need to think carefully about how you’re going to raise awareness about your brand while entertaining viewers.
This may sound scary, but with the right approach, it works perfectly. When you’re done with this 10-step guide to YouTube marketing, you’ll have a better understanding of how to get started. We will well define three kinds of questions:
- Create and customize your YouTube channel
- Understand your audience (and your competition) using data
- YouTube Ads through YouTube Ads and Influence Marketing
Now let’s jump!
10 Step YouTube Marketing Strategies
Step 1. Create a business YouTube channel
Open a branded Google account before doing anything.
When you create your YouTube channel with a normal Google account, only one person, holder of a Google account, can log in to that channel. By creating your YouTube channel with a branded account, multiple authorized Google accounts can log in together.
The YouTube channel has many moving parts, so you’ll want to help at least one or two people run the show.
Check out our step-by-step guide to creating YouTube business accounts with detailed instructions on how to do it.
Step 2. Discover your audience
Your YouTube channel for business gives you access to the Analytics tab, which contains a lot of statistics related to your channel. Search here for quantitative information about your channel and your audience’s behavior, including views, average follow-up time, revenue generated, and video engagement rate.
The Analytics tab also contains valuable data on the demographics of your subscribers.
Even if you think you know who your subscribers are, pay close attention to what you find on the Demographics tab. This data will help you go beyond assumptions and feel confident that you are reaching the right audience.
Keep track of time and demographics to answer questions like:
- Where and when are your videos shown?
- How old are your viewers?
- What genre do your viewers usually recognize?
Tracking audience analysis is profitable. If your assumptions about your subscribers are confirmed, this is great – now you’re sure to reach the right audience.
If your assumptions were wrong, you know how to adjust your content strategy to reach the intended audience. On the other hand, your product may resonate with unexpected demographics – valuable information for the entire marketing team.
In addition to quantitative metrics, you can also get quality information (why and how) about your audience by reading and managing comments on your videos. Reading reviews isn’t always fun, but the information you find here will be invaluable in updating different aspects of your marketing strategy, both on and off YouTube.
Important tips: The YouTube community page is an underrated space to learn about your audience. Located under the Community tab on your profile, you can directly interact with your subscribers. Post questions or create a survey to gain a deeper understanding of how your audience thinks.
Step 3. Research your competition
Competitive analysis is essential if you want to stay ahead of other companies in your YouTube position. Fortunately, much of the information you need to identify potential opportunities is readily available on your channels.
Browse your competitor’s YouTube channels and see which videos have the most and the fewest views. Watch these videos to find out what type of content your audience likes (and what not) and use it to update your own content strategy.
As with your own videos, roll up your sleeves and read reviews on competing videos. Your name may have been mentioned. If so, be sure to reply so that potential customers can see that you are actively interacting with your community.
Read competitor video descriptions to see what keywords they use in YouTube search optimization. Use similar ones to increase your ranking on YouTube search pages and suggested video feeds.
One last note: make sure your competitors don’t show ads on your videos! If so, you can disable them in Google Ad Manager. More on that here.
Step 4. Learn from your favorite channels
When you watch YouTube on your own time, ask yourself: What about this video that interests me? What makes me go back to my main channels?
Paying attention to your favorite YouTubers will reveal the techniques and best practices they follow to increase views, subscriptions, and loyalty.
Even if they don’t technically fit into your business position, you can tailor your favorite YouTubers’ strategies to grow your own YouTube. Don’t be afraid to try some of the weirdest trends – it works for these brands.
In addition to being a great source of inspiration for your own viral videos, it’s also worth remembering that YouTube is an amazing resource for beginners. There are hundreds of YouTube channels that will tell you how to become a successful marketer, no guesswork required.
We have compiled a list of the best YouTube channels to help you grow your digital marketing game.
Step 5. Optimize your SEO videos to get views
Your YouTube videos need to be search optimized if you want to get the most out of them. Don’t worry if your first few videos fail to gain a lot of purchase. You can work to modify and refine your YouTube SEO over time.
We’ve written a detailed guide to getting more views on YouTube, but here are some tips to get you started:
- Choose the correct title (with the correct keywords)
- The first step in optimizing a YouTube video is choosing an attractive title that contains relevant keywords (I like to use the Google Adwords Keyword Planner for this).
- Make sure the title is relevant to the subject of the video – no one likes clickbait. If you can, try including precise keywords that match common search terms – you’ll get more clicks.
- YouTube video titles can contain up to 70 characters. We recommend 60 or less so that nothing is cut on the search pages.
- Create an interesting thumbnail
- When uploading a video, you can select a freeze-frame to use as a thumbnail. However, we recommend that you create your own custom thumbnail as it will help your content stand out.
- Write a fascinating video description
- Your video description should include a brief description of the subject of your video, as well as links to your site and social media accounts, as well as a list of tags (more on that in a minute).
We have a complete tutorial on how to write useful descriptions on YouTube. The following is a summary of the most important points:
- 5000 characters maximum (but you probably don’t need many)
- Load important keywords and use them in the title and description
- Add a “content page” of time points so viewers can easily find relevant points
- Link to different playlists on your channel
- Add up to 15 hashtags
Add a hashtag to your video description
Hashtags make it possible to search for more content on YouTube.
Choose a small number of hyper-relevant hashtags instead of an exhaustive list. If you use more than 15 hashtags, all the hashtags in this video will be ignored anyway, so be selective. Oh, and remember to follow YouTube hashtag rules.
Add cards, banner ads, and watermarks to promote your channel
Cards, blunt ads, and watermarks are clickable CTAs that you can add to your YouTube videos. These are effective because they are relatively unobtrusive and offer minimal disruption to the viewing experience.
You can read them in the Hootsuite guide for YouTube advertising, but here is a brief description:
- Ards Card: A small, transparent CTA that extends when clicked. Use them to direct viewers to your site, buy pages, or even other videos on your channel.
- Bumper Ads: Six-second video ads that appear at the beginning or end of a video.
- Watermarks: custom registration buttons visible only to non-subscribers. To add them to your videos, follow the simple YouTube instructions.
Request viewers to register
Sometimes the easiest way to get what you want is to ask for it. There’s a reason why every YouTuber ends their videos with a verbal “Like, Share, and Subscribe” call: It works and takes no effort.
Step 6. Upload and schedule your videos
Once you’ve created some well-adapted videos, it’s time to rotate them. So what’s the best way to program your YouTube videos?
YouTube is almost as popular as television as a platform. And many of your subscribers will consider your YouTube channel as a television station, so you should run it.
Be professional and share written content on a regular schedule. If you promise your customers that they will receive a new video just before noon every Saturday, you run the risk of either being committed to it or losing your trust (and your opinion).
Television studios also provide a useful model for content creation. Make sure you have multiple “episodes” of content ready for the scheduled time. In addition to giving you a Plan B if your video production schedule is interrupted, pre-creating multiple episodes will usually mean more consistent with the quality of your video.
You can pre-upload and schedule your own YouTube videos from Creator Studio or with tools like Hootsuite, which lets you promote your video release, including posts from the same social dashboard to all other social channels.
Read more about how to schedule YouTube videos.
Step 7. Customize your channel to attract followers
Once you’ve optimized your videos, you need to optimize your own YouTube channel. By providing a consistent experience with your channel, you will be able to attract more visitors and, more importantly, turn these views into regular subscribers.
Complete your YouTube profile for proper YouTube Marketing
This is an easy place to start. Fill in as many relevant details as possible on your profile, including:
- Key is a keyword-rich biography
- An attractive banner image (2560 x 1440 pixels, 2 MB max)
- Website Links to your website and social media profiles
- Location and contact information.
You can also add a list of featured channels to your YouTube profile. Its featured channel listing gives your customers easy access to other YouTube resources they might be interested in adding value to your YouTube page.
This may seem like a free ad to your competitors but you can actually benefit by doing it.
Remember, YouTube is a community. Networking with different channels gives you the opportunity to cross-channel promotions or other collaborations in the future, helping to build relationships with other creators in your space. When you make friends on YouTube, everyone wins!
Organize your videos into playlists
When your YouTube videos are organized into playlists, they are automatically played until the playlist is finished, which lengthens the viewers on your channel and increases the important statistics of the average playtime on your channel. You can create playlists on YouTube or manage them using Hootsuite.
- Modify your playlists carefully. Make sure there is a logical progression of ideas from one video to another. This will reduce the chances of people clicking on another channel.
- You can create playlists using your own videos or include related videos. Similarly, if you’ve started networking with other YouTubers, see if you can agree to add their videos to their playlists.
- Remember to include relevant keywords in your playlist titles to encourage your YouTube SEO!
- Translate your videos into different languages
- According to YouTube, more than 60% of views on the YouTube channel originated outside the creator country. Expand your reach by adding captions to your YouTube videos.
- If this sounds expensive, don’t worry – you can actually translate from your fanbase! To do this, you need to enable community contributions for videos:
- Right-click the name of your account in the upper right and navigate to Creator Studio.
- In the left-hand menu, click Translate and Transcripts> Contribute to the community.
- Click Activate for all videos to enable contributions to the community.
- This feature is also available via video, so you might want to get started if you try it for the first time.
- Translations are easy to approve. The YouTube interface displays Google-translated estimates of the translated text so you can be sure that the translation is about the subject and makes sense.
- Crowdsourcing content isn’t flawed and doesn’t always offer the best quality, but it’s a good starting point for internationalizing your channel.
Step 8. Try YouTube Ads for YouTube Marketing
Your YouTube channel is not the only place where users can see their content. If you have the money, you can also pay for YouTube ads.
YouTube ads are available in six varieties, some of which I mentioned earlier in this article:
- Video ads that can be skipped
- Video ads that can not be skipped
- Bumper ads
- Overlapping ads
- View ads
- Sponsorship cards
For more information on YouTube ad formats and how to use them, see the detailed YouTube Ads Guide.
With YouTube advertising, the key is to produce relevant and engaging content that makes viewers forget that they are seeing an ad. In general, this means keeping things fast, fun, and over-focused.
Step 9. Try to work with an influence
One of the best ways to promote your products on YouTube is to work with an influencer. According to Google, 60% of YouTube subscribers trust the views of their favorite influences.
Utilizing a coordinated influence of an influencer can lead to big profits – just look at Warby Parker, whose partnerships with YouTube and Instagram significantly influence her brand.
Contact influential people who already know and trust your name. Most YouTube fans are smart enough to recognize a paid subscription, but if the influencer is genuine and genuine about his or her love of the brand, the appearance of “sponsorship” will not matter.
When it comes to these associations, let the influencer speak. The more control you try to exert on the correlation, the more impact you will have on the influence of the brand, which will make the whole effortless genuine and your fans will see it from a mile away.
Step 10. Analysis and adjustment
Thus, he has created his own YouTube channel, regularly posts content and forms alliances with influential and other creators in his field. Congratulations, but you are not done yet!
Maintaining and developing your YouTube channel requires constant monitoring. Each time you post a new video, check out YouTube Analytics for:
- Significant changes in the number of subscribers
- New or changing audience demographics
- video playback sites and traffic sources
- Device reports (mobile phones, desktops, smart TVs, etc.)
I said it before and I will say it again: read the comments! This is the best way to find out exactly what your audience thinks about your videos and channel in general. You can even find specific suggestions for what videos to make next!
7 tips for creating videos for YouTube Marketing
Before subscribing here, I’d like to give a quick overview of the ways you can create videos that keep people coming back for more. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict if a video will go viral.
Follow YouTube video spaces
Start by uploading YouTube-optimized videos. Fortunately, the platform has a range of video specifications to meet different needs. We discussed them in our article on social media specs, but here’s a quick update
Recommended sizes: 426 x 240 pixels (240p), 640 x 360 pixels (360p), 854 x 480 pixels (480p), 1280 x 720 pixels (720p), 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p), 2560 x 1440 pixels (1440p) and 3840 by 2160 pixels (2160p)
- Minimum size: 426 by 240 pixels.
- Maximum size: 3840 by 2160 pixels
- hold up aspect ratios: 16: 9 and 4: 3
- Recommended Specifications: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP or WebM
- Maximum file size: 128 GB
- Maximum duration: 12 hours.
Invest in good monitoring equipment
This tip is quite literal: if you are producing original content, record your videos in HD, and invest in a good quality microphone. Your content will look and feel much more professional.
Get your attention early
The first 15 seconds of your video is vital to get your attention – this fact is so ingrained that YouTube has a full tutorial on it. Here is a quick list of the best tips:
- The strange curiosity that opens with a preview
- Target viewers with a standard aperture
- Quick commitment when asking a question
- Set expectations by opening with a summary
Make a note of the cell phone
Mobile playback represents more than half of the videos seen on YouTube, so it is important to record content that is optimized for this format.
One of the best ways to do this is to make videos that work with or without audio. 85% of YouTube videos are watched without sound!
Another way to optimize for mobile devices is to record short videos (three minutes or less). These don’t use as much data and you can more easily enjoy them on the go.
This does not mean that mobile users no longer enjoy the video – the average mobile viewing period is over an hour.
Record longer videos
It’s just math: bigger videos = more time to watch, which is better for YouTube SEO. You can also add more value to a larger video, as long as it’s in good condition and scripted.
See how some brands, such as Airbnb and Hyundai, rotate to feature videos.
Schedule live streaming events
Live broadcasts are a great way to reward your most loyal subscribers. Announce the event in advance and use YouTube Live to engage directly with your audience. You could even use the live stream to collect comments on your regular videos.
Get some other live video content ideas.
Add End screens
The end screens are necessary to enlarge your view. Add action prompts to visit other videos or playlists on your channel, subscribe, or direct viewers to your site.
Take a look at this article for information on how to add end screens (as well as other tips for developing YouTube!)
With the Hoot Suite, you can easily upload, schedule, and promote YouTube video marketing on multiple social networks from a single dashboard. Try it free today.
Are you looking for a skilled digital marketer? If you have any product promotion on social media, web site design and development, content writing, WordPress themes design and customization, you are in the right place. Also, if you have a page, off-page, I also provide the service.
Hii, I am Abir. I have been working on digital marketing for a long time. You Can Contact me if you have any queries regarding SEO, Digital Marketing & WP Themes Customization.
If you have any questions about YouTube Marketing just put a comment below.